Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Summer Show in Halifax, etc...

I'm getting ready to hit the road again: this time for Halifax.

The Nova Scotia Designer Crafts Council's Summer Market is fast approaching with the opening on Friday at noon. The show returned to its original location at the corners of Spring Garden and Queen last year after being very downtown at the waterfront for a short time and then a year of non-existence. This year the show has grown again and boasts 32 attending artisans.

I have made several new pieces for this show, not that I have photographed them all, have to take the camera and grab snapshots of the pieces on display, just so that there is a visual record of the work before it sells (now there is some optimistic thinking).

My postcard invites went out last week and my email invites went out yesterday. The more inexpensive pre-show promotion that we can do the better. This little bit of work on my part has the potential to add between 40 and 80 visitors to the event that might otherwise not become aware of it. And the moral of this tale boys & girls is that the more artisans that create a client list of thier supporters and interested persons and use it, there are going to be more people aware of the event and in turn, the more there is for all of us. It's a win-win idea. I invite my clients, you invite yours and we share. Not to shabby, eh?

In other news: I am enjoying the social life provided by my partnership in the "Garrison Studio" in the Garrison District on Queen in Fredericton. The sign for the shop was painted and installed yesterday. Big cheer there as that meant that the weather was finally dry enough for the city's summer students to get it done. It also doesn't hurt my feelings that there have been some decent sales from the effort and I've only been brusque with one person so far this summer... "No, I don't make this in Mexico." Sorry dude, I know it's a legit question, but when you add that you are super familiar with the differences in jewellery styles, it strikes me as an odd question and I was obviously in an odd mood. Ooops, now you all know how to get me riled up;)

Went to a meeting for the Fredericton Arts Alliance Art Trek last night. The question is wether or not the open studio tours for 2009 can be pulled together as there was significant decrease in funding for the coordination and operations of this growing event. One brainstorming session later, it is looking a lot more positive, but the committees involved are going to be one very busy bunch for the next short while. As it stands, dates for the event are the 17 & 18 of October with a gala opening on the evening of the 16th.

Anyway, we hit the road on Thursday morning, drive through and find our flop-house in H'fax, check-in and then do the set-up for the show. On our way back after tear-down, we stop in Moncton and deliver some finished work to a colleague at midnight or so. Looking forward to this weekend and then getting back, grabbing a nap and getting ready for company that is arriving mid-week.

Cheers
--

No comments: