Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Recent discoveries

This is hardly a post of thoughtful philosophical discoveries but of things that are fun.

Internet radio is not new and this station isn't either: Martini In the Morning, but it's new to me, and I have always adored Rat Pack music. I'll admit now that I was an 80's kid... I missed the big hair and opted for short pixie/punk kinds of cuts. I also toted around my post-punk 80's rock like Adam and the Ants and shopped the yard sales for used Frank Sinatra and Ella Fitzgerald LP's (the big black vinyl disks that preceded cassettes that preceded CD's). Now I'm starting to feel old and I might have been a bit of an oddball musically.

I came across June Cable's WiZard of Felt web site a few years ago and was smitten with her felted dolls. I thought they were fabulous with great whimsy but at the time she didn't live in New Brunswick. She obviously moved here sometime in the past couple or three years. She is delightful and just as whimsical as her fabulous creations. I had the privilege of acquiring a couple of berets from her this past weekend. I love them and anyone that knows me, knows that I like my hats, not too wild but just different enough to be noticed and June's work gets noticed.

A friend recommended William Shatner's autobiography "Up Till Now" to me recently. Laughed my way though it when it was appropriate. Like the fine actor he is, he plays the comedy off the tragedies of his life and it makes a fine read. It's not heavy and moross so it is ideal for grabbing a few pages here and there, but really, you may get into it and not want to put it down.

Enjoy the discoveries.
--

No comments: