Sunday, June 7, 2009

"To Do" Lists and Coffee

Two things occured to me this morning as I was waking up:

1. How much I enjoyed the simple pampering of a cup of coffee delivered to me in bed.

2. How important it is for me to acknowledge the intangible things that I get done everyday.

The coffee delivery, although an important symbol of attentive caring, is not the point.

I honestly can't say that I know any compulsive "to do" list makers. I certainly am not one, but I do from time to time list things that I know have deadlines attached, mark events and appointments on the calendar and I make shopping lists so I don't forget why I went to town. Here's the rub though, I bet that some of those "to do" people experience an incredible sense of accomplishment at the end of their day or week that the rest of us don't experience. Why, because unlike them, we can't look back at the day or week or month and know how many things we got finished that propel us towards our goals because so many things are intangible (paperwork recorded, filed, mailed, appointments kept, deadlines met... think of anything that gets things done, but does not actually make something). We can't see these things once they are done, they produce no material results, so unless they are check marks on a list, we are apt to forget what we accomplished.

If we ignore or forget all the intangibles that we have accomplished, we can easily feel that we have achieved nothing and that's not a feeling that is going to encourage us. If we keep track of the intangibles we can look back over a time and pat ourselves on the back and congratulate ourselves for "getting 'er done". A little self-congratulations can be just what we need to keep ourselves focused and motivated.

As you know, I like to make to jewelery and at the end of the day there is a real thing to show for my efforts, but I think that I am also learning to make lists, the check marks are real too. I enjoy being able to say "look what I got done" even on a day when I didn't actually make jewelry.

Try it, you might just like it.
--

No comments: