Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Busy

Being busy helps - I find that it sooths the spirit.

The more spinning plates, the better. It means that I have to focus, that I am working towards a goal. I have less time to be frivolously distracted by fun but useless things. Busy is good.

Some people that I know don't particularly care to be busy, it bothers them and it's not necessarily because they are lazy - I am lazy - it's just that busy overwhelms them. It doesn't give them time to think and they just don't like that. I find that the less time I am left alone with my own idle mind the better.

Right now, we are working on a series of pieces for an exhibit that opens in just over a month. I have a couple of group exhibition deadlines coming up - an idea might stick & something good might get made before time runs out on them.

There are 2 back-to-back shows in Halifax over the next 2 weekends. Ones a regular show and the other we haven't done in a couple of years so we are looking forward to going back. Those shows will give us the opportunity to fine tune the booth & see what we need & what we forgot.

There are a couple of board & committee meetings for the area chamber of commerce in the next short while too. Being on the committee & board has been good for me. It reminds me that I have very little patience for some processes & it teaches me to let go and let it happen in its own good time, it will work even if it looks funny. The platypus was designed by committee.

There are other seminars and gallery openings on the event calendar for the next couple of weeks and I am looking forward to all of it.

We are currently finishing up designs on a wholesale - limited production - line of jewelry. Have to have it 'juried' in 2 weeks and then be ready to go for wholesale in 3 months, and in between, build a lot more one-of-a-kinds for the Nova Scotia Designer Crafts Council show in 3 weeks and the Ottawa Originals in December.

The benefit of busy is the focus. It makes elimination of non-productive habits and time very easy. It just seems to highlight what is truly important to me as an artisan/business. I appreciate that.

Cheers,
Cynthia

No comments: